Conflicts in International Teams
Intercultural Conflict Management
Conflicts can spark due to:
- Different goals (that requires negotiation skills to solve)
- Misunderstandings (those are the ones mostly happening in international teams and are same time the most easy to solve)
- Unclear defined roles in teams (this requires management and leadership skills to solve)
- Emotions and feelings (that requires emotional intelligence as well as intercultural awareness)
It is impossible to avoid conflicts completely since it is usual to have different goals to achieve. Most other conflicts can be avoided from the very beginning. Especially avoiding to use some killer phrases or behaviors that are done with good intention but are considered insulting in some cultures will help to reduce conflicts significantly
- Recognize how and why conflicts in international teams arise and how you can avoid them from the very beginning
- Learn how to de-escalate and resolve intercultural conflicts in an elegant and face-saving way
DeYuCo Academy Inhouse Workshops
- Workshop fee 10000 USD for 2 days
- Topics can be adjusted to your needs and wishes
- At any time and place worldwide, our experts fly to your office
- Inhouse workshops can be conducted in English or German. If you require other languages kindly contact us for further possibilities
Our two-days, hands-on training equips you with the necessary know-how utilizing many examples and realistic exercises.
- You recognize which factors must be taken into account especially in international teams to minimize conflicts from the very beginning
- You will learn how to start an international team correctly in order to resolve conflicts later more smoothly and elegantly
- You learn through practical examples and role play how you should behave in certain situations and what you should avoid
- You realize how you can moderate international teams (even as a team member) and achieve your goals effectively
- You learn effective international conflict resolution methods
- Learn from the mistakes that have been made by others before you. Our trainers have worked as expats for many years in international countries and have established and directed local companies, experiencing all the ups as downs of everyday business in international teams.
Open Seminar / Inhouse Workshop Details
Participants in our open seminars can tell the trainer upfront their wishes and needs, e.g. if you want a certain topic to be discussed in more detail. In particular if you require suggestions for specific situations or issues then please tell our expert trainers, they will include your wishes and give you suggestions for solutions or alternative approaches.
In our inhouse workshops we can adjust the following suggested agenda completely to your needs and wishes. You can also mix and match these topics with other training topics. If you prefer web-based solutions over class-room workshops then kindly contact us for a tailored offer. The time and location of these workshops can be specified by you. If you desire more than two days workshop, e.g. for complex international challenges, then we can tailor any of our trainings and workshops to suit your needs and wishes !
- International conflicts: different types, causes, effects
- How conflicts start especially in international teams
- Conflict escalation
- Conflict cycle
- Conflict types
- International differences in escalation styles
International misconceptions and miscommunications
- Europe, USA, Asia: the most common mistakes
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Resolution of conflicts based on misunderstandings
Intercultural communication rules
- What do international colleagues expect in a team?
- How should a team communication standard look like?
- What should you consider in order to effectively and efficiently communicate with international colleagues from the very beginning?
- Behaviors that cause irritation internationally
- Killer phrases and other “You”-messages
- Solutions when the conflict has already broken out
- How to limit conflicts through positive behavior
- Which behavior make it possible to address conflicts directly
- Conflict matrix
- Negotiating limits: If you are not progressing in discussions
- Negotiating conflicts and their resolution
- Compromises: Examples and solutions
Tips for avoiding conflicts
- Definition roles and responsibilities
- Face saving behavior
- Project and team rules and regulations