Successful Virtual Teams
Virtual teamwork requires specific skills for both managers as well as team members to be successful. One disadvantage of virtual communication that non-verbal elements such as mimic and gestures are usually missing. This will easily lead to misunderstandings, resulting in increased isolation and reduced team spirit, with the overall result that the team goals will not be achieved.
In this seminar “Successful Virtual Teams”, you will learn how to deal with the challenging task of working in a virtual team. We will show you proven to work methods and solutions to increase your impact in such virtual teams and to help achieve the overall team goals.
- What makes a virtual team successful and what are hurdles that have to be addressed ?
- Learn, which methods and solutions are effective and easy to use to increase performance of international and even intercultural virtual teams
- Increase your impact in successful virtual teams: as manager but also as team member
DeYuCo Academy Inhouse Workshops
- Workshop fee 10000 USD for 2 days
- Topics can be adjusted to your needs and wishes
- At any time and place worldwide, our experts fly to your office
- Inhouse workshops can be conducted in English or German. If you require other languages kindly contact us for further possibilities
This two-days, hands-on training equips you with the necessary know-how utilizing many examples and realistic exercises.
- You will understand what are the main obstacles in virtual teams and how to overcome them
- You will learn which communication styles and media are useful for certain communication needs
- You will understand how isolation of virtual team members can affect the overall performance and what to early do against such virtual isolation
- You will get templates to develop a virtual team charter including a virtual communication guide with conflict and escalation handling
- You will learn how to increase the motivation (intrinsic and extrinsic) of your team
- You will learn to identify potential conflicts in a virtual environment and how to solve them with international and intercultural conflict management tools
- You will learn methods how to develop a virtual team culture and team spirit
- Learn from the mistakes that have been made by others before you. Our trainers have worked as managers for international companies, including working as expats abroad. They joined and managed international teams with team members from many different cultures. The majority of communication in such teams has been virtual due to the different location and time zones. Our trainers have seen which hurdles are quite common and which methods and solutions are really working to develop those virtual teams successfully.
Open Seminar / Inhouse Workshop Details
Participants in our open seminars can tell the trainer upfront their wishes and needs, e.g. if you want a certain topic to be discussed in more detail. In particular if you require suggestions for specific situations or issues then please tell our expert trainers, they will include your wishes and give you suggestions for solutions or alternative approaches.
In our inhouse workshops we can adjust the following suggested agenda completely to your needs and wishes. You can also mix and match these topics with other training topics. If you prefer web-based solutions over class-room workshops then kindly contact us for a tailored offer. The time and location of these workshops can be specified by you. If you desire more than two days workshop, e.g. for complex international challenges, then we can tailor any of our trainings and workshops to suit your needs and wishes !
Virtual team characteristics
- Virtual vs. face-to-face communication
- Mindset for “normal” and “virtual” teams
- Prejudices about home office
- Requirements for communication flow and respective IT-solutions
- Overview over todays technical possibilities
- Advantages and disadvantages of virtual communication
- Most common mistakes when communicating virtually
- Comparison of virtual communication media: when to use which type for which purpose
- Handling email and chat overflow
- Elements of successful virtual communication
- Rules and regulations needed in virtual teams
- Virtual team charter
- Virtual communication guide
- Preparing and moderating virtual meetings
International and intercultural virtual teams
- Virtual cooperation in intercultural teams
- Effects of intercultural differences on working style and virtual communication styles
- Creating your own team culture despite intercultural differences
- International conflict management: tools and methods to deal smoothly with conflicts and escalations
Leading virtual teams
- Toolbox for virtual leadership
- Expectation management (manager to member and reverse)
- Virtual staff reviews and annual goal discussions
- How to motivate over virtual distance
- Giving virtually a sense of safety
Virtual team development
- Best case examples: what have successful virtual teams done and what methods did they apply
- Establishing a feedback culture: timely and accurate feedback
- Tips for forming a successful virtual team